Quote of the Day

"Our scars remind us where we've been; they don't have to dictate where we're going." ~Agent Rossi, Criminal Minds

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Vegetable Garden Vol. II




Plant:  Tomato  Variety:  Yellow Brandywine

I had one plant, and even though I got it very early in the summer (mid June) it did not produce tomatoes for the longest time.  It was giant, healthy plant, with blooms, but it just never put out tomatoes.  Until late August, after I had moved it outside (from the greenhouse) for a couple weeks.  Then I got a few tomatoes out of it.  While it wasn't a super high yield, the tomatoes are amazing and totally worth it.  I will definitely grow it again next year, and will probably grow it's cousin, the Pink Brandywine, as well.


Plant:  Carrots  Variety:  Rainbow

These are amazing!  They are beautiful, flavorful, and fun.  I grew them from seed, in long rows, and then thinned them when they were about 1-2 inches tall.  After thinning and replanting, many of them did not get any bigger, but many of them did, which is fine since I had about 200+ planted.  I will definitely grow these again next year, but I will be sure to give them more than the suggested 1 square inch of space so they don't get twisted and stunted by each other.


Plant:  Potato  Variety:  Yukon Gold

What can I say, it's a potato, it's good stuff.  This was my first time growing these, and I have to say I had no idea what I was doing.  I planted one, in an old trash can (a suggestion from my neighbor) about 3/4 of the way inside the can, then added dirt on top of the plant as it poked out of the dirt, until it got to the top.  It stayed green most of the summer, then started to turn yellow and look dead toward the end of August.  That's when you harvest.  I got 7 potatoes, from my one starter potato.  So next year I may grow 2 or 3 now that I know an approximate yield.  It didn't need fertilizer, just plenty of water and good soil.  And they were super fun to dig up...layer after layer, like searching for treasure :)


Plant:  Tomato  Variety:  Rainbow Heirloom

Delicious and heavenly.  These tomatoes are so flavorful...once you taste them, you'll never want to go back to buying your tomatoes in the store.  They are ripe anywhere from a greenish yellow, to a bright yellowish orange and they are modeled and sometimes striped, and very juicy (as you can see in the picture).  I have approximately 5 different Rainbow Heirloom plants, and the one planted in the raised bed (not in a separate pot) at the beginning of the summer (but started in the greenhouse) is HUGE...it's October and it's still trying to take over the whole raised bed - now covered with a hoop house.  Super healthy plant, delicious fruit, not a lot of maintenance.



No comments: